The e-commerce universe has increasingly been challenged with keeping up with consumer demands, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. With the holiday season approaching, delivery demand is expected to exceed 5 million pieces a day, higher than it’s ever been. Retailers may be concerned that upcoming and ongoing shipping challenges are calling for attention. But there’s no need to fear: With omnichannel distribution, leverage in data analytics, a diversified transportation network, supply chain predictability, and advanced technology, the path to fulfillment agility is here.
How Can Retailers Create Fulfillment Independence to Reduce Shipping Challenges?
Adapting to future changes is possible when a company is prepared to face the challenges that tag along with them. The massive volume of e-commerce purchases is not going to decrease anytime soon. Here are five helpful tips for navigating potential shipping challenges:
- Enhance the flow of products:
- Omnichannel distribution capabilities make it possible for retailers to uphold service consistency and keep customers satisfied at an increasing rate. For example, ship-from-store methods can be an accommodating factor that customers will recognize and appreciate.
- Align fulfillment methods with business strategy:
- Data is business strategy’s best friend. Data analytics provides information to guide strategic decision-making, seamlessly connecting initiatives to shipping operations. Harmonization between consumer expectations and business strategy is made possible by running simulations and available performance indicators. In this case, retailers can compare different scenarios and analyze different impacts on the business model.
- Combat carrier disruptions:
- When dealing with massive volumes of business, it is critical to operate with flexibility. The online shopping market anticipates a delivery capacity shortage, and with a huge wave of online orders approaching, retailers should explore way to diversify their transportation network to ensure customer demands are met. Retailers who include last-mile and regional carriers in the mix are better able to keep up with deliveries. While minimizing surcharges, retailers can secure the best value for every destination, delivery date, and product shipped.
- Confirm success in future operations:
- Easily achieve fulfillment independence by strengthening supply chain predictability with shipping data from past purchases. Connectivity to this data allows retailers to combat the complexity of shipping challenges and address areas in need of improvement to optimize the consumer experience.
- Get a better view of the future:
- With today’s technology, there are more tools available to retrieve any data at your convenience. From tracking sales to investigating consumer engagement to understanding the psychographic and behavioral aspect of your customers, there is opportunity to gain a wider perspective on the dynamic of a business.
Marketsmith is looking forward to following the path to fulfillment agility as we continue to help our direct-to-consumer clients prepare for rising e-commerce volumes. We recognize that being aware of the solutions to upcoming fulfillment challenges are essential to keeping consumers satisfied, and data is a key element in ensuring your customers’ needs are met. Contact us to find out how we can help your brand create fulfillment independence effectively.