Did someone say TikTok?
When you mention the name “TikTok” anywhere in New Jersey, people immediately think of the legendary Tick Tock Diner. Atmosphere, great prices and a huge portion of disco fries (drooling) keep locals coming back 24/7/365. But this New Jersey-based performance-marketing agency knows better – TikTok, a video sharing social networking site with over 2 billion downloads, is all the craze among 16- to 24-year-olds. In recent weeks, it has even been used to bring grandparents and grandchildren closer together – Lillian Droniak, 90-year-old grandmother to Kevin Droniak, has over 105,000 followers!
5 Things Marketers Need to Know to Launch a Successful TikTok Campaign
- The importance of the “for you” page: When you sign into TikTok, each user is brought to their “for you” page. This is 100% personalized content driven by your search, engagement and follow behavior. The algorithm associated with this page is a total black box, and do not let an agency convince you otherwise. What we do know is that landing your video in one of these coveted spots is a fast track to growing your followers.
- Targeting Options: Like most social platforms, TikTok has targeting capabilities including gender, location, age and interests. You can also generate look-alike or custom audiences leveraging customer database uploads.
- Hashtag Strategy: Hashtags are a way of categorizing content to make it easy to find and follow. Before posting, research relevant hashtags by looking at competitor posts or use a hashtag generator tool – be sure to use them sparingly and precisely.
- Advertising Opportunities:
- Brand Takeover – this acts as an interstitial that appears as soon as a user opens the app for the first time that day. You can leverage video, still images or GIFs and link directly to your website.
- Top View – this is a traditional ad unit that appears within a user’s feed after three seconds of viewing.
- Native Video – this video is placed in-feed, appearing to be organic content to the untrained eye. CTA can be customized to drive away from the native platform or even to an app download option.
- Hashtag Challenge – these sponsored opportunities will build brand awareness and drive user-generated content (UGC) engagement. One of the most successful hashtag challenges was launched by Jimmy Fallon, generating 30 million views using #tumbleweedchallenge – check out the 13,500 videos associated with this hashtag for a little fun!
Looking to master your #hashtag technique or launch a #tiktokchallenge? Let’s talk strategy.
The Marketsmith team is embracing the 2M views a day on TikTok. Check out our socially distant status meeting.