Amazon Echo Dot Tops All Holiday Sales
This article was originally published on MediaPost.com.
The Dot is hot.
Amazon’s mini Alexa-enabled voice device, the Amazon Echo Dot, outsold all other products on Amazon over the holidays.
That’s saying a lot, since more than 1,400 electronic products were ordered per second just on mobile devices, according to Amazon.
Second in sales was Amazon’s Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, giving a major boost to voice-activated assistants in the home.
Amazon also compiled an extensive and impressive list of stats, many relating to its voice devices. Here are some:
- Tens of millions of Alexa-enabled devices were sold worldwide
- The Echo Dot was the number one selling Amazon device and the best-selling product from any manufacturer in any category across all of Amazon
- The Echo Dot, Echo Spot and Echo Buttons all sold out over the holidays
The retail behemoth also tracked activities on its voice devices in the market, whether consumers were listening to music or asking questions: Some stats:
- Alexa customers turned on their holiday lights more than a million times via Alexa
- Alexa customers asked for tens of millions of jokes
- The most requested movies via Alexa were Trolls and Elf
- Music listening on Alexa was three times as much as last holiday season
- Consumers asked Alexa for cooking related advice more nine times as much as last holiday season
- Alexa usage on Fire TV in the U.S. was up 889% over the same period last year
- Alexa customers set three times as many timers this year compared to last holiday season
- Four times more music from Amazon Music was streamed over Alexa this holiday season compared to last
- The most popular items purchased via voice were the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote and TP-Link Smart Plug Mini
The end result is that millions more consumers now have voice assistants in their homes.
Thanks to Alexa, Amazon had quite a Merry Christmas.